Saturday, May 28, 2016

Nothing Published

Two years later.  I pretty much finished the roster app (two years ago), but realized my design criteria were not all possible.  As I mentioned in the last post Google did not allow one of my criteria to be possible.  Being able to output Google Spreadsheets was the main thing I personally wanted from the app.  Also, I could not fit all the information on a phone screen and have it look decent.  If I gave up on fitting all the information and the desired outputs, my app would be no better than what is already out there.  If I gave up on appearance, nobody would want to use it anyway.

Today I realized I had never updated this since I quit coding.  If there is any audience, There should be an explanation.

I do want to say thank you to the people that provided translations for me.

I might go back to coding for the public in the future, but for now I will just leave the interception app as-is.

Saturday, June 7, 2014

BB Roster update

  • Syncing data between devices and player graphs are done.
  • Importing from BB Ref is done.
  • Import of different rule-sets is done.
  • Exporting a Google Spreadsheet has been much more problematic than expected.  This feature may not be available at launch.  I will probably wait for updates to Google Drive API for Android.
I have found several solutions for the last point.  HTML outputs, PDF outputs, . . .  I particularly want Google Spreadsheets so I can link all the rosters together with compiled outputs.  Currently Google Drive API for Android does not offer data manipulation of Spreadsheets.  Other Google APIs do, but they require current internet connection.  I feel that is too big a cost when I expect GDAA to continue to grow.

I will have output roster to printable html page.

Moving to beta testing now.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

BB Roster progress

Pretty much completed the free components of the app.  Instead of two versions (one free and one paid) I am creating a single app with an in-app purchase to upgrade.  Therefore, even if the free features are completed, I have to finish the upgraded features before I release it.  I am now looking for volunteer translators.  I have Spanish and Italian translators, but they do not play Blood Bowl.  Player/translators would be ideal, because they would know the context.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My BB Roster app development is in full swing

The more I looked at the one other option that existed, the less I liked it.  I guess it comes down to, I do not believe in paying $ for what I think should be basic functionality.  Currently my roster app will be free without ads.  Users will be able to create and DEVELOP teams in the basic version.  Another important feature I felt, is to be able to see all game relevant information on a single screen without scrolling.  Font size will be adjustable, but this does mean small screens will be hard to read.
The basic version is free and will have everything you need to manage any of the base 24 teams on your device.
The advanced version will sync with a Google Drive, have printable spreadsheets, allow customized rule sets/races, allow shareable league and team summaries, and show many graphs of player and team histories.
The basic version will be completed soon, but the complete project will not be released until the advanced version is done.
I am planning on releasing with multiple language support.  I think I have have translators for English, Spanish, and Italian.  If you would like to assist in translation to other languages, please contact me.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Nothing new

The user interface for a branching probabilities app became more complicated than I thought warranted the creation.  The small gain in functionality over the currently available apps did not balance the complicated interface it required.  I may get back to the roster app I was working on.  Or, the project may be completed as a web app.  I have been working on a website for my local league, the Austin Blood Bowl League.

I have had requests for an iOS version of the app.  Google Play store requires a one-time payment of $25 to become a developer, Apple requires $25/year.  I made the Android version because I wanted it for myself.  I do not own an iOS device.  It is possible that I will make an iOS version, but it is not on the immediate horizon.  If others were to donate an iOS device and/or cover the cost of registering with Apple, I would gladly develop the app.

The ad-supported BB Interception app passed 500 current installs the day after its one year anniversary.  The only suggestion I have received for features is to make it a more encompassing passing reference, such as including Safe Throw and fumble probability charts.  I am very happy with the simplicity currently implemented.  I know of one improvement I can make to the ad-free version.  I can reduce download size and storage footprint.  Since, it will not change any computational efficiency, this update has a low priority.  Also, there are only 10 users of the ad-free.  Maybe if more people purchased the ad-free version, I would make this change sooner.  *hint* *hint* :)

Saturday, June 15, 2013


Welcome to life.  With the delays came the loss of fire to finish.  BB Probabilities is in the home stretch, but there is no eta.  There are rumblings in my head of another BB app.  This page will have the newest information.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

New Project Delayed

I expect to publish the probabilities app in 2-3 weeks.

I was not expecting a branching probability app to be more complex than writing an A. I. for grad school.  All told, this project will be relatively short, but it stretches my mental capacity more than grad school did.